This project requires interns to practice high levels of patience, be motivated, and emulate empathy. Although results may be a gradual process, it is rewarding to see the ultimate improvements in the patient’s abilities. We encourage interns to use their creativity and to be eager to learn and practice new skills and methods while working with the children.
The activities you can get involved with on this speech therapy project include:
- Helping discuss, diagnose, and treat children with speech, language, and Autism
- Monitoring patients’ improvements through progress reports
- Evaluating and scheming treatment plans with specific goals for patients
- Teaching speech therapy exercises/techniques to overcome or remediate problems
- Monitoring and evaluating patients’ improvements through progress reports
You will work independently, without direct supervision by a local speech therapist. There will be a qualified occupational therapist on site who has excellent working knowledge of speech therapy, who will also assist and guide you when needed.